Early Childhood

I had a baby brother David, who was born 15 months after me. We grew up together and I dressed him in my dresses. He was always a good sport. When the Watkins man would come around about once a month, he would look at him and ask, “How is little Mary?”
Karolyn & David Ward
I remember my playmates were the little puppies that would be born in the Spring. I would dress them in my dolls clothes and pull them around in the wagon. That worked for a while until they got big enough to jump out. Janice (my cousin who lived next door in the summer time) was my playmate. We would take eggs from the chicken coops and make our mud pies. They would set up really well.
Karolyn on the Ranch
Karolyn and her bunny
At this time we would spend the winters in Malad and the summers out on the ranch. With two small children, Dad and mother took an old granary and made it into some kind of living condition. I just remember mother talking about laying awake at night and listening to the mice run up and down inside the walls, and worrying about rattlesnakes getting into our beds. We were both scared to death of mice and snakes. We were trained to always watch and listen for them. We had an old dog named Blackie, and we would call him and he would kill them for us.
Rulon, Karolyn, and David
Sheila was born when I was almost 5 years old. I was so thrilled to have a little sister. I really enjoyed having a baby around to love and to hold. As she got older she was really spunky and knew how to take advantage of me. Then I wasn’t sure if I really liked having her around. She always knew how to get what she wanted from Dad and Mom. She has been a wonderful sister and we have enjoyed each other over the years.
Sheila & George Ward
George was born in November after I started school in first grade. He was a joy to our family; always happy and keeping us on our toes. He was never afraid of anything, and as soon as it got quiet mother would send us out looking for George.
Rulon and Rose Ward Family