Life On The Ranch

We lived right by the main highway, so there were always tramps and gypsies stopping by and asking for a handout. Daddy was always giving somebody gas or food, and sometimes a place to spend the night when their car broke down. We were 30 miles from Tremonton so Daddy would always take care of them. That was before we had any telephones.
Karolyn & David Ward
Daddy had a cow and a rooster that liked to chase us kids. I remember running to that house many times with one of them after me, screaming all the way.
During the summer months David, Janice, and I would have to get on the horses and take the cattle back up over the mountain after they came into the water lane for water. There were no fences at that time to keep them off the highway and that was always our job. I didn’t really like riding the horses. David and Janice loved the horses and they liked to make mine buck and scare me.
One day it was very hot and when we got back to the water lane “Old Star” (my horse) decided she wanted to cool off and got out in the middle of the pond and started to roll over with me. My foot was caught in the stirrup and I couldn’t get off. It scared me to death! I was screaming, yelling, crying all at the same time. I had never learned how to swim (we were never at a swimming pool) and I was scared to death of water. We were always taught not to go by the water until you learn how to swim. I finally got her out without going over on top of me. I never wanted to take the cattle again, but of course I still had to help. One day we came upon a rattle snake and it spooked the horse and I almost got bucked off again, so I always tried to be real busy and help mom in the house.