School Days

My school days in Snowville had four grades in one room. I had five classmates my age, 2 girls and 3 boys.
Karolyn Ward - Second Row, 4th Student from the Left
Mother or Daddy would have to take us five miles to school and pick us up after. It seemed like I was always waiting for them, never knowing when they would get there. We didn’t have phones in those days so I couldn’t call them. I just had to wait and see when they would show up. When I started my own family, I told Arlin, “I don’t care where we live as long as my children can walk to and from school.”
When my brother Allen was born he was sick a lot, so mother and dad decided to buy a home in Tremonton and we would spend the winters in town. That only lasted for one school year, and then they sold the home and we spent the rest of our school years back in Snowville. I loved that year and had a great teacher, and it was so fun to walk to school and have lots of friends to play with. It was also nice to be in a classroom with all the same grade students.
Karolyn's Class 1951
My 8th grade year was probably my worst. I had been really good friends with Kay, Pat, Rosanne, and Phyllis, but they were all a year older than me. So when they left for high school I was left behind for a year. I was a cheerleader than year and did enjoy being a cheerleader. I don’t remember much about what games we had or who we played. I do remember spending all of my recess time crocheting. Kay and Pat had taught me how to crochet and we spent a lot of time in the winter months crocheting hot pads and simple things, but it helped the time go by.